Good Shepherd Village at Endwell was founded by Good Shepherd Communities, which is also the parent organization of Good Shepherd Fairview Home.
Good Shepherd Communities is a Binghamton based, not-for-profit corporation that is run by a local volunteer board of directors and an experienced management team. It is dedicated to meeting the continuing needs of care, support, and assistance through high quality, affordable, and innovative senior housing services and facilities.
Good Shepherd Fairview Home traces its origins back to the House of the Good Shepherd, formed in January 1870 under the auspices of the Society of Mercy at Christ Episcopal Church. It was to be “an asylum for aged and destitute persons” and became the City of Binghamton's first hospital. When Binghamton City Hospital (now General Hospital) opened in 1888, the House of the Good Shepherd no longer served as a hospital and offered residential living for the elderly.
The Home for Aged Women, later named Fairview Home, was founded in July 1891 by a group of benevolent citizens and had no religious affiliation. In the 1960s, the Presbytery of Susquehanna Valley expressed an interest in sponsoring a home for the aging and Fairview Home came under its sponsorship.
In 1968, the two homes merged and became known as Good Shepherd Fairview Home. Following the merger in 1968, a new complex was built on Fairview Avenue. Good Shepherd Fairview Home currently provides independent apartments, an adult care facility, an assisted living program, and a skilled nursing facility, as well as a dedicated state-of-the-art Rehab & Wellness Center.
Good Shepherd Communities Foundation provided a significant portion of the start-up money for the Good Shepherd Village project. The mission of Good Shepherd Communities Foundation is to provide financial and other support for Good Shepherd Communities, Good Shepherd Fairview Home, Good Shepherd Village at Endwell, and other entities. The Foundation works to enhance the lives of older adults in the Greater Binghamton area.